It’s Friday! Time for my Friday Reviews.
The end of the week is always a good time to do your reviews, and get things clear for upcoming week.
One of the main problems with the ever-popular GTD, is that it is sorely lacking in the reviews department. Most people I know simply just don’t do reviews at all, or pile them up until they get out of hand.
I’ve tried a couple of different ways of doing reviews, and this is the one I like the best: setting aside 2 hours every Friday to get everything to Zero.
- Clear ALL my email – personal, work, Asian Efficiency. Nothing is to be left in any inboxes. Spam is to be sorted and cleared out.
- Clearing my post-it notes. These can be physical notes or digital notes via the Stickies app on Mac. Both are typed into my OmniFocus Inbox.
- Clear my OmniFocus Inbox. I use one consolidated inbox. It goes to Zero every Friday.
- Clear my physical inbox. This usually means scanning bills, receipts, documents etc, then sending them to DevonThink.
- Clear my DevonThink inbox. This means filing away in appropriate folders/groups.
Why once every Friday? I’ve tried before to go through this process every day, but found I would often skip days or be too busy to get it done. Plus, batching everything together tends to make the whole process more efficient.
Some people may ask what about urgent tasks – typically, if something is really, truly urgent and can’t be postponed until Friday for clearance, it will naturally make its way into my daily workflow anyway.
Action Item: Book out 2 hours every Friday afternoon to clear your inboxes to Zero (bonus: it’s an excuse to do something easy for the last couple of hours of work!)
Discover the 1 Lifehack of Highly Successful People
This one lifehack led to the biggest breakthrough of my career. People like Steve Jobs and Oprah have used it to catapult their success, and now you can too.