This episode is all about FOMO – The Fear of Missing Out. It’s a troubling trend with major productivity costs, and Mike and Thanh help you understand and solve it. They chat about FOMO’s symptoms and common causes, as well as 9 tips to help you overcome it once and for all.
Get Podcast Updates
Do you want to get an email with shownotes each time a podcast goes live? Then let us know where to send the updates by entering your first name and email.
- Why the Fear of Missing Out (or FOMO) is a topic that is not often discussed and why it’s so important to address
- How FOMO manifests itself from a productivity point of view
- The consequences of living in an attention economy and what to do about it
- The real reasons why FOMO doesn’t allow you to focus
- How to curate or edit your life so you can focus on the things that are important
- How to become a producer rather than a consumer when it comes to information and technology
- Tips to help you stop checking your phone all the time
- Why dealing with email FOMO is a constant struggle and what you can do to to get victory over it once and for all
- Some of the common sources of FOMO and how to eliminate them
- How knowing your “why” (your purpose) can help you overcome FOMO
- How creating a system you can trust safeguards you from FOMO
- Why GTD is so popular and the benefits of applying it for yourself – even if you only implement the first part
- Why social media channels are purposely built to get you hooked and make you feel like you need to check them all the time
- Why you really should turn off your push notifications
- How to use full screen mode to minimize distractions and overcome FOMO while on your computer
- How priorities and goals can drive your actions and help you overcome FOMO once and for all
- A simple exercise you can use to figure out how much your time is really worth
- The Next Evolution in Productivity is Lifestyle Productivity (TPS127)
- How to Get Started with Journaling (TPS2)
- Journaling Challenge blog post
- Time tracking blog post
- Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products
- The 12 Week Year: Get More Done in 12 Weeks than Others Do in 12 Months
- The Power of Story: Change Your Story, Change Your Destiny in Business and in Life
- So Good They Can’t Ignore You: Why Skills Trump Passion in the Quest for Work You Love
- The Shallows: What the Internet Is Doing to Our Brains
- Ulysses Mac app
- Byword Mac app
If you enjoyed this episode, subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, Overcast, PocketCast or your favorite podcast player. It’s easy, you’ll get new episodes automatically, and it also helps the show gain exposure. You can also leave a review! Here’s how.
How Productive Are You?
Take our Productivity Quiz to find out. Learn the tactics and techniques that will work for you.