Finding the right todo list app can be extremely difficult. We want to help you shortcut the process by helping you match the correct task manager or todo list app with your specific needs. In this episode, Thanh and Brooks weigh the pros and cons of popular apps like OmniFocus, Trello, Asana, Todoist, and 2Do to help you pick the one that fits your specific situation so you don’t need to personally try each one. By the end of this episode, you’ll have a much better idea about what type of app you’re going to need to manage your tasks. You’ll also know the pros and cons of the most popular apps so that you can make sure that you don’t just use the latest shiny new object but the one that will actually work for YOU.
Get Podcast Updates
Do you want to get an email with shownotes each time a podcast goes live? Then let us know where to send the updates by entering your first name and email.
- Brooks’ story of figuring out which todo list app was best for him via trial and error [2:52]
- How Thanh eventually landed on Omnifocus [5:10]
- The 3 different types of todo list apps [7:43]
- How a simple paper-and-pen todo list system can scale to digital task managers [9:17]
- The specific use cases that Thanh uses the macOS Reminders app for [10:39]
- Why cross-platform solutions can make task management easier [13:47]
- Why you want the company behind the app you use to be financially healthy [16:00]
- Our recommended apps for both personal use and team collaboration [19:09]
- The pros and cons of the iOS and MacOS Reminders app [22:25]
- Why Asana works so well for collaboration [26:11]
- How to use Trello to get an overview of what’s going on [28:08]
- How to create multiple workspaces in Asana for different areas of responsibility [30:54]
- The advantages of using Todoist [33:09]
- The very real productivity costs associated with switching to another todo list app [35:07]
- Why we use and teach OmniFocus at Asian Efficiency [39:02]
- Using contexts, defer dates, and more in OmniFocus [39:28]
- About the 2Do app and why it’s popular [45:28]
- Final thoughts on task managers [48:45]
- OmniFocus course
- Remember The Milk
- TPS57: Advanced OmniFocus Setup + Workflow w/ Joe Buhlig
- TPS4: How to Use GTD Contexts in OmniFocus and Other Task Managers
If you enjoyed this episode, subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, Overcast, PocketCast or your favorite podcast player. It’s easy, you’ll get new episodes automatically, and it also helps the show gain exposure. You can also leave a review! Here’s how.
How Productive Are You?
Take our Productivity Quiz to find out. Learn the tactics and techniques that will work for you.