OmniFocus is very powerful, but can be difficult to use and might be overkill for your task management needs. Mike and Brooks explain the killer features of this app and how best to use it, so you can decide if it’s worthwhile for you to invest in it. If you’re already an OmniFocus user, you definitely don’t want to miss this episode as they’ll also tell you how to get the most out of it by showing you how to set up custom views or perspectives and walk you through the AE task management workflow. They also answer some of the most frequent questions we get from the community regarding OmniFocus, including how to use OmniFocus when you have to use a PC at work and the best way to implement OmniFocus when going iOS only.
Get Podcast Updates
Do you want to get an email with shownotes each time a podcast goes live? Then let us know where to send the updates by entering your first name and email.
- What OmniFocus is all about and why you might want to use it [1:46]
- The key features of OmniFocus that help it work for Mike [3:38]
- What separates OmniFocus from other task managers [5:31]
- When to use Start Dates or Defer Dates correctly [12:49]
- How to use the custom view and focus options in OmniFocus to see only the appropriate tasks [19:06]
- Using location awareness [21:21]
- How to use Siri to add tasks to your OmniFocus inbox automatically [24:15]
- Advantages of the custom perspectives feature and how to use them to work more efficiently [25:56]
- How to leverage OmniFocus integration with email clients to get links to specific email messages [31:10]
- Examples of how to use the Applescript support in OmniFocus [36:35]
- How OmniFocus can automatically create projects using URL schemes on iOS devices [37:27]
- How to transfer mindmaps in Mindnode into projects in OmniFocus [42:01]
- The #1 question we get: What if I use a Windows or PC at work? Can I still use OmniFocus? (Yes) [43:52]
- How to use OmniFocus on an Android device [49:11]
- Should you get the Pro version of OmniFocus? [50:54]
- How to go iOS-only and implement OmniFocus task management only on mobile devices [53:21]
- The best way to use OmniFocus (The AE workflow) [56:01]
- How to use Evernote and OmniFocus together [1:00:23]
- OmniFocus course
- Remember The Milk
- Workflow for iOS
- Launch Center Pro
- The Personal MBA: Master the Art of Business
- How to Use Location-based Contexts in OmniFocus 2 for iPhone (Screencast)
- TPS57: Advanced OmniFocus Setup + Workflow w/ Joe Buhlig
- OmniFocus email help
- OmniFocus Applescript help
- Joe Buhlig OmniFocus auto parser
- Explanation of OmniFocus syntax
- OmniFocus on Android
If you enjoyed this episode, subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, Overcast, PocketCast or your favorite podcast player. It’s easy, you’ll get new episodes automatically, and it also helps the show gain exposure. You can also leave a review! Here’s how.
Do You Want To Get Unstuck and Have More Time in Your Day?
Take this productivity quiz that has helped over 13,129 people get unstuck and create more time in their days. Don't let life be harder than it has to be.