Ever wonder why some people seem to get so much more done than others? We all have the same 24 hours in a day, but some people are much more productive and the secret to this next-level productivity is not traditional time management but actually energy management. Energy management is a force multiplier for how productive you are in the time you have available to you, and in this episode Brooks and Mike dive deep into why energy management is the real key to high achievement and how to do it effectively. They walk through different types of energy that need to be managed, and what you can do to maximize each one. Do you find that you often can’t muster up the energy to focus on an important task? Then you don’t want to miss this episode.
Get Podcast Updates
Do you want to get an email with shownotes each time a podcast goes live? Then let us know where to send the updates by entering your first name and email.
- Why energy management is more important than time management [3:12]
- The four pieces of the energy pyramid presented in The Power of Full Engagement [6:40]
- Why getting enough sleep is so important (and why you’re probably not getting as much as you should) [8:07]
- How to track your sleep cycles to maximize the quality and quantity of your sleep [11:15]
- How blue light causes your body to stay awake and why NightShift and f.lux are so important in getting enough sleep [15:41]
- Why regular exercise will decrease the amount of sleep you need and help you have more energy during the day [19:11]
- How walking every day can boost your energy levels [22:07]
- The power of productive meditation and how to do it correctly [24:15]
- How eating healthy can exponentially increase your energy and productivity [26:04]
- The emotional impact that positive and negative emotions have on your energy levels [28:51]
- Ways to give your brain a break to have more mental energy [35:08]
- Why going back and forth between being fully engaged and strategically unengaged is so effective [38:01]
- Why going back to your “Why” and your foundational vision can help keep you motivated [38:49]
- 6 Things you can do right now to increase your energy [43:50]
- How to establish rituals that will help you have more energy throughout the day [46:54]
- Why giving to others translates into a higher quality of life and more energy [50:58]
- Carcassonne board game
- TPS78: Live a Minimalist Luxury Lifestyle w/ Thanh Pham
- The Away Carry-On (The suitcase that Brooks bought and Mike has)
- The Power of Full Engagement
- Energy Management article
- The Energy Pyramid graphic
- The Science of Sleep (CBS News)
- Sleep Cycle app
- Philips HF3520 Wake-Up Light With Colored Sunrise Simulation
- TPS6: Which Supplements Actually Help with Focus and Productivity?
- Why Pursuing the Work-Life Balance Myth is Hurting Your Productivity (TPS139)
- Jawbone UP
- 10 Practical Tips for Identifying and Implementing Core Values With Your Family (TPS133)
- Energy Quadrant
- Eisenhower Matrix
If you enjoyed this episode, subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, Overcast, PocketCast or your favorite podcast player. It’s easy, you’ll get new episodes automatically, and it also helps the show gain exposure. You can also leave a review! Here’s how.
How Productive Are You?
Take our Productivity Quiz to find out. Learn the tactics and techniques that will work for you.