Have you ever felt stressed from being overcommitted but didn’t know how to fix the situation? You need someone who can show you how to break out of the mundane and make sure you’re moving in the right direction towards creating your ideal future. If so, you’re not alone. Many people feel completely overwhelmed with everything they need to do, but they don’t know how to start over or slow down. In this episode, Brooks and Mike talk about what to do when you find yourself in this situation and you need to make a fresh start. If you’ve ever felt stuck, this episode has practical tips and strategies to help you get out of your rut and hit the reset button.
Get Podcast Updates
Do you want to get an email with shownotes each time a podcast goes live? Then let us know where to send the updates by entering your first name and email.
- Why it can be beneficial to hit the reset button when you find yourself feeling stuck [3:30]
- Practical tips for how you can start to reset your career and get that job you’ve always dreamed of [4:03]
- How to identify when it’s actually time to make a change [8:36]
- The process of establishing career capital to create the future you’ve always wanted [12:09]
- How to figure out what you can do that is valuable for the marketplace to start building career capital [14:56]
- Why the passion mindset won’t lead you to the future you want and what you should do instead [20:21]
- The simple formula you can use to start making deposits into your career savings account [22:01]
- Why the ability to form relationships and work well with others is so important in today’s ‘s society [27:13]
- Why you need character in order to successfully reset your career [29:17]
- How to use the principle of hustle to make sure you’re moving in the right direction (and make sure you’re doing it effectively) [31:21]
- How you can adjust expectations by learning to say “no” even if you have a history of saying “yes” [34:06]
- How to set boundaries to make sure you are focusing on the right thing at the right time [36:49]
- Why it is so important to pay yourself first when it comes to your time, attention, energy, and focus [40:17]
- How to reset your projects when you find yourself overcommitted [48:08]
- Other things you can use to make a fresh start that aren’t work-related to help you get out of a rut [55:46]
- Why you might want to reset your environment and tips for how to do it without breaking the bank [59:38]
- How to reset your routine for maximum effectiveness [1:02:22]
- Deep Work by Cal Newport
- Do Over by Jon Acuff
- The 12 Week Year by Brian P. Moran
- How to Take Massive Action on Your Goals by Implementing the 12 Week Year Effectively (TPS138)
- Blue Apron
- Five Four Club
- Overcome the Limitations of GTD to Get Things Done By Using the 2Do App (TPS137)
- Due (iOS)
- John Lee Dumas
- How to Find Balance While Working in a Corporate Culture (TPS140)
- Joey Roth poster
- Brooks’s office makeover
If you enjoyed this episode, subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, Overcast, PocketCast or your favorite podcast player. It’s easy, you’ll get new episodes automatically, and it also helps the show gain exposure. You can also leave a review! Here’s how.
How Productive Are You?
Take our Productivity Quiz to find out. Learn the tactics and techniques that will work for you.