The average person makes over 35,000 decisions in a single day, but many times we make wrong decisions because of our own cognitive biases which influence how we see our situation. In this episode, Brooks and Mike talk about the different sources of cognitive biases and how they impact our ability to make good, rational decisions. They discuss the many different types of cognitive biases and explain how they can lead to bad decision making. They also share 4 strategies to help you overcome your own cognitive biases and help you be more productive. If you want to start seeing things more clearly and making better decisions, this episode is for you.
Get Podcast Updates
Do you want to get an email with shownotes each time a podcast goes live? Then let us know where to send the updates by entering your first name and email.
- What is a cognitive bias? [2:10]
- The 4 different sources of cognitive bias [3:59]
- Why we judge others by their actions and ourselves by our intentions [5:16]
- How to avoid confirmation bias when analyzing data [10:00]
- How a diverse mastermind group can help you identify and conquer your cognitive biases [14:02]
- How to stay open-minded and understand that your own beliefs might be wrong [20:03]
- How the bandwagon bias impacts the productivity space (and how to overcome it) [22:52]
- How to overcome the negative influence of the stereotyping cognitive bias in the hiring process [29:02]
- How survivorship bias can make you overestimate your chances of success (and how to see the situation correctly) [35:05]
- The function of cognitive biases and why they may be good in certain situations [37:49]
- How aversion bias makes it hard to switch jobs or make changes [43:47]
- How the salience cognitive bias colors how you remember successes and feedback [46:35]
- Strategies for overcoming cognitive biases [49:46]
- How to use masterminds to keep yourself accountable for your decisions [50:50]
- How to train yourself to make the right decisions by using checklists [54:51]
- What to Do When You Feel Stuck and Need a Fresh Start (TPS148)
- Common Cognitive Bias types (Wikipedia)
- Seanwes podcast – The Communication Episode
- How to Make Sure Your Projects and Tasks are the Right Ones (TPS151)
- The Innovator’s Dilemma
- The Checklist Manifesto: How to Get Things Right
- The Art of Thinking Clearly
If you enjoyed this episode, subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, Overcast, PocketCast or your favorite podcast player. It’s easy, you’ll get new episodes automatically, and it also helps the show gain exposure. You can also leave a review! Here’s how.
Do You Want To Get Unstuck and Have More Time in Your Day?
Take this productivity quiz that has helped over 13,129 people get unstuck and create more time in their days. Don't let life be harder than it has to be.