Everyone deals with procrastination, but the reasons why may be drastically different for each person. In this episode, Thanh and Mike dive into the 8 different root causes of procrastination and how to overcome them so you can figure out what’s causing you to get tripped up when trying to get your work done. They walk you through the 9 different types of procrastinators and share tactics for each procrastinating personality type to help you overcome procrastination when it strikes. If you find yourself putting off work that you know you need to do, this episode will help you overcome that feeling of being stuck and help you start taking action on your goals.
Get Podcast Updates
Do you want to get an email with shownotes each time a podcast goes live? Then let us know where to send the updates by entering your first name and email.
- Some of the root causes of procrastination [1:43]
- Where the disconnect comes from when you understand something logically but not emotionally [4:56]
- What happens when you have a lack of clarity [7:59]
- Why people can struggle with taking action when they have a lot to do and feel overwhelmed [12:48]
- How fear can hold you back from being productive when you have a task that you don’t want to deal with [15:58]
- Why resentment can boil up when you are asked to do something that you don’t want to do [21:27]
- How to switch from a negative mindset to a positive mindset and get your work done [25:00]
- What happens when you have low energy and you put off doing a task [25:40]
- How jumping between tasks can really hurt your productivity [29:36]
- How to say “no” to more projects so you can say “yes” to the ones that are really important [32:35]
- The 9 different types of procrastinators (or procrastinating personality types) [35:49]
- How to keep yourself from avoiding tasks until the last minute [40:18]
- Why perfectionism is such a serious issue for some people [44:17]
- How first-time entrepreneurs often get stuck when they over-promise something and procrastinate because they’re in over their heads [51:19]
- How and why working on tasks you don’t want to do zaps your energy [55:31]
- Why your great ideas don’t turn into action [1:02:27]
- The real signs that you’re procrastinating because you’re in the wrong job [1:07:41]
- Getting Things Done
- 5 Ways to Apply the 80/20 Rule To Free Up 2+ Hours A Week (TPS118)
- How Journaling Can Make You 25% Happier (TPS154)
- Thinking Time: the Counterintuitive Approach to Growth (TPS162)
- The 12 Week Year: Get More Done in 12 Weeks than Others Do in 12 Months
- The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love that Lasts
- How to Discover Your Own Core Values (TPS126)
- 10 Practical Tips for Identifying and Implementing Core Values With Your Family (TPS133)
- The ONE Thing: The Surprisingly Simple Truth Behind Extraordinary Results
- Pomodoro method
If you enjoyed this episode, subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, Overcast, PocketCast or your favorite podcast player. It’s easy, you’ll get new episodes automatically, and it also helps the show gain exposure. You can also leave a review! Here’s how.
Do You Want To Get Unstuck and Have More Time in Your Day?
Take this productivity quiz that has helped over 13,129 people get unstuck and create more time in their days. Don't let life be harder than it has to be.