Simple systems are all around us, and being able to influence these systems is important in order to attain both personal and professional success. There’s a saying that you are where you are today because of the choices that you made yesterday. But if you don’t like the results that you’re getting, we have good news for you – YOU have the ability to create the positive change you want. All you need to do is tweak the system.
In this episode, Brooks and Mike talk about how everything in life is the result of simple systems mechanics, share how these simple systems are vital to working effectively (and not just efficiently), and why they are the real key to achieving your goals. All you need to do to change your future is make the right adjustments to your systems, and in this episode we’ll help you identify the systems that need attention in your own life by sharing 6 characteristics of a good system, show you how to develop a systems mindset and achieve the results you’re looking for, and give you some quick tips you use to start making those 1% improvements that will take you to your ideal future.
Get Podcast Updates
Do you want to get an email with shownotes each time a podcast goes live? Then let us know where to send the updates by entering your first name and email.
- What is a system anyway? [2:15]
- The 3 key parts of any system [4:40]
- Six characteristics of a good system [9:18]
- Why a system should always give you predictable results, and how to change it if it doesn’t [18:15]
- Thinking like a geek: how to always be on the lookout for improvements to your systems [23:21]
- How to create habits and rituals to manipulate your systems for greater success [28:00]
- 1% improvements that leverage the compound effect to get you to your ideal future [34:42]
- Why “eating your frog” is so important to your success [36:39]
- Why you need to get better sleep [44:45]
- How movement is an important habit, and why meditation and gratitude can transform your habits [53:22]
- Saying “no” even when there is free space on your calendar [59:36]
- Additional resources to help you develop a systems mindset [1:05:46]
- Video Interview with Sam Carpenter of Work the System
- 6 Characteristics of Good Systems
- Work the System: The Simple Mechanics of Making More and Working Less
- Think Like a Geek Image
- Eat That Frog!: 21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less Time
- Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative
- Mind Food: How to Become More Creative and Successful by Watching What You “Eat” (TPS170)
- Overlap: A simple strategy for closing the gap between where you are and where you want to be w/ Sean McCabe (TPS163)
- Sleep Cycle
- The Willpower Instinct: How Self-Control Works, Why It Matters, and What You Can Do To Get More of It
- AE NeuYear calendar
- The 12 Week Year: Get More Done in 12 Weeks than Others Do in 12 Months
- The Systems Mindset: Managing the Machinery of Your Life
- The Compound Effect
- The Art of Exceptional Living
- 1% Better Video
- The Miracle Morning: The Not-So-Obvious Secret Guaranteed to Transform Your Life (Before 8AM)
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change
- The Millionaire Next Door: The Surprising Secrets of America’s Wealthy
- The ONE Thing: The Surprisingly Simple Truth Behind Extraordinary Results
- Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less
- The Goal: A Process of Ongoing Improvement
- 2 Second Lean
- The Toyota Way: 14 Management Principles from the World’s Greatest Manufacturer
If you enjoyed this episode, subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, Overcast, PocketCast or your favorite podcast player. It’s easy, you’ll get new episodes automatically, and it also helps the show gain exposure. You can also leave a review! Here’s how.
Do You Want To Get Unstuck and Have More Time in Your Day?
Take this productivity quiz that has helped over 13,129 people get unstuck and create more time in their days. Don't let life be harder than it has to be.