Do you ever get overwhelmed? Ever feel like you’ve lost control of your day and there’s absolutely nothing that you can do about it? Do you get frustrated with having to respond to things other people declare are urgent and find yourself with no time left for the things that are important to you?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, then this episode is for you. Brooks and Mike talk about what overwhelm is as well as what contributes to it, and share a simple 4-step strategy to help you escape overwhelm once and for all. They share 5 quick tips for disconnecting from the moment and getting some space and control when everything goes wrong, and give you 5 tactical tips to help you systematically create space and escape overwhelm once and for all.
Thanks to Stamps.com for supporting The Productivity Show.
Get Podcast Updates
Do you want to get an email with shownotes each time a podcast goes live? Then let us know where to send the updates by entering your first name and email.
- How this topic came about from a Twitter question [1:49]
- What overwhelm feels like and why it’s often self-imposed [6:50]
- How today’s society creates a culture of emergency-scan modality [11:57]
- Resetting the expectations surrounding work/life balance [18:47]
- 4 Steps to escape overwhelm [19:58]
- Why you need to learn how to say “No” [22:52]
- How email is a major contributing factor to overwhelm [30:25]
- Why rituals help you keep overwhelm at bay [35:26]
- Action item: identify one thing that you want to turn into a ritual or routine [39:11]
- What should you do when everything is going wrong right now [40:37]
- How meditation or taking a walk outside can help you feel like you are more in control of your life [44:52]
- Ways that famous authors and business owners deal with overwhelm [48:40]
- 5 Things you can do to make sure you will systematically fight against overwhelm [51:43]
- Why you should reflect on your experience after you make it through an overwhelming situation [58:06]
- The tweet that sparked this episode
- Why Pursuing the Work-Life Balance Myth is Hurting Your Productivity (TPS139)
- My Morning Routine: How Successful People Start Every Day Inspired
- Blue Mind: The Surprising Science That Shows How Being Near, In, On, or Under Water Can Make You Happier, Healthier, More Connected, and Better at What You Do
- Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World
- 3 Simple Steps To Delegating Work The Right Way So You Don’t Have to Worry About It (TPS182)
- Margin: Restoring Emotional, Physical, Financial, and Time Reserves to Overloaded Lives
- How Journaling Can Make You 25% Happier (TPS154)
- Tribe of Mentors: Short Life Advice from the Best in the World
If you enjoyed this episode, subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, Overcast, PocketCast or your favorite podcast player. It’s easy, you’ll get new episodes automatically, and it also helps the show gain exposure. You can also leave a review! Here’s how.
Discover the 1 Lifehack of Highly Successful People
This one lifehack led to the biggest breakthrough of my career. People like Steve Jobs and Oprah have used it to catapult their success, and now you can too.