Journaling is a bit of a buzzword in the productivity space, but with good reason. And in this episode, Mike and Brooks explain why it’s so important. They dive into the many benefits of journaling, and share 5 tips for making journaling actionable and effective. They explain how to implement a journaling habit, recommend some different tools and apps you can use, and explain how to make the habit stick. If you’ve never understood why you should journal or you have trouble doing it consistently, then this episode is for you.
Get Podcast Updates
Do you want to get an email with shownotes each time a podcast goes live? Then let us know where to send the updates by entering your first name and email.
- Why there’s a stigma associated with journaling (and why’s it isn’t true) [1:39]
- The benefits that come from pairing journaling and meditation [5:13]
- How journaling increases your mindfulness [7:53]
- The ways that journaling actually increases the likelihood that you will actually achieve your goals [9:55]
- How journaling strengthens self-discipline and improves communication skills [14:15]
- Why many people do something called “morning pages” and how it sets their day up for success [18:24]
- Why you don’t need to take a long time each day to journal (it’s the consistency that counts) [20:27]
- Why it is so important to keep your journal positive [24:09]
- The benefits of keeping a gratitude journal and how it impacts your outlook on your life [26:07]
- Why it is important to see the gains you’ve made by reviewing your journal [32:17]
- How to use journaling to identify pain points in your life so you can fix and solve them [36:38]
- AE recommendations for digital journals and apps you can use [38:38]
- Why you might want to use an analog journal and the benefits of pen and paper [48:42]
- Why it is so important for you to pick a time to journal that works for you and stick to it [55:03]
- Using automation and prompts to make journaling more efficient [58:24]
- 5 tips to make the most of your journaling experience [1:04:56]
- Why you should review your journal on a regular basis [1:06:19]
- SELF Journal
- TPS2: How to Get Started with Journaling
- TPS69: Journaling w/ Kendra Wright
- How to Take Massive Action on Your Goals by Implementing the 12 Week Year Effectively (TPS138)
- The 12 Week Year: Get More Done in 12 Weeks than Others Do in 12 Months
- 10% Happier by Dan Harris
- Huffington Post “10 Surprising Benefits You’ll Get From Keeping a Journal”
- Day One
- The Five Minute Journal
- Launch Center Pro
- Journey app
- Baron Fig notebooks
- Field Notes
- Rhodia notebook
- Bullet Journal
- Miracle Morning
If you enjoyed this episode, subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, Overcast, PocketCast or your favorite podcast player. It’s easy, you’ll get new episodes automatically, and it also helps the show gain exposure. You can also leave a review! Here’s how.
How Productive Are You?
Take our Productivity Quiz to find out. Learn the tactics and techniques that will work for you.