Ever wonder why some people seem to get so much more done than others? We all have the same 24 hours in a day, so what makes some people super-productive while others just can’t seem to get things done? In this episode, we dive into the strategy of timeblocking and how high-achievers use it to focus their effort to become super-productive.
Mike is joined by Curtis McHale, who recently produced a video training course for the Dojo to help people implement timeblocking for themselves and take massive action on their goals. Curtis is a Dojo member and business owner who has been running a successful web software consulting business for 6 years and helping others do the same for the last 2. In this episode, Curtis and Mike talk about timeblocking and why it’s so effective, give tips to help you implement it for yourself (even if you’re completely new to the idea), strategies for keeping it going and making the habit stick, and even a few tips for people in a corporate environment with little to no control over their work schedule.
Thanks to Slack for supporting The Productivity Show. Slack: Where work happens. Go to slack.com to learn more.
Get Podcast Updates
Do you want to get an email with shownotes each time a podcast goes live? Then let us know where to send the updates by entering your first name and email.
- Why Curtis is a huge proponent of timeblocking [2:05]
- Making time vs finding time (and why they’re both wrong) [3:34]
- Four steps to designing your ideal week [8:18]
- Manager your work hour as a freelancer or if you have a boss [13:36]
- How to talk to your boss about your core values in order to succeed in your job [21:14]
- How to track your time effectively [27:52]
- Reviewing your timeblocks and making adjustments [32:57]
- How to make your timeblocking and time tracking into habits that stick [41:53]
- Why you should have a written plan for your week [46:55]
- Why you should double your time estimates when you’re guessing how long a task will take [51:19]
- Increasing Your Productivity By Using Analog Tools w/ Curtis McHale (TPS177)
- 6 Tips for Running More Effective Meetings (TPS195)
- Never Enough Time? Schedule Your Priorities by Color Coding Your Calendars
- Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World
- Profit First: Transform Your Business from a Cash-Eating Monster to a Money-Making Machine
- So Good They Can’t Ignore You: Why Skills Trump Passion in the Quest for Work You Love
- Unique Ability® 2.0: Discovery – Define Your Best Self
- How Journaling Can Make You 25% Happier (TPS154)
- The 12 Week Year: Get More Done in 12 Weeks than Others Do in 12 Months
- Scaling Up: How a Few Companies Make It…and Why the Rest Don’t
- The Productivity Project: Accomplishing More by Managing Your Time, Attention, and Energy
- When: The Scientific Secrets of Perfect Timing
- A Professional Scrum Master’s Best Advice for a Productive Team w/ Lucas Smith (TPS189)
- Deep Habits: The Importance of Planning Every Minute of Your Work Day (Cal Newport blog post)
Connect with Curtis McHale
If you enjoyed this episode, subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, Overcast, PocketCast or your favorite podcast player. It’s easy, you’ll get new episodes automatically, and it also helps the show gain exposure. You can also leave a review! Here’s how.
Do You Want To Get Unstuck and Have More Time in Your Day?
Take this productivity quiz that has helped over 13,129 people get unstuck and create more time in their days. Don't let life be harder than it has to be.