Zack and Mike revisit the Getting Things Done method and chat about common obstacles that prevent people from successfully implementing the system into their lives. They chat about keeping things simple, not following the system exactly, and evolving as you use the GTD method. You’ll get something out of this episode whether you’re new to the GTD method or a seasoned GTD pro.
Get Podcast Updates
Do you want to get an email with shownotes each time a podcast goes live? Then let us know where to send these updates.
- Common pitfalls and why some people have trouble making GTD work for them
- How to make sure you are capturing everything so nothing falls through the cracks
- How to identify all the inboxes that exist in your life (including those outside of email)
- Why writing tasks for your future self increases the probability of completion
- How writing a story that includes the desired outcome & defining what “done” means actually helps you take action
- Quick tips for keeping your system as simple as possible
- How to combat “shiny new object syndrome”
- How to evaluate whether your system is functioning efficiently
- Why Zack goes into execution mode during the week and does decision making on Sunday
- Why journaling sets you up to make better decisions tomorrow
- The different types of weekly reviews and how to implement them
- What to do when you have no time left to do the actual work
- Getting Things Done
- GTD 101: The Beginner’s Guide To Getting Things Done
- TPS58: Getting Things Done w/ David Allen
- Drafts (iOS app)
- Field Notes
- GTD in 15 minutes – A Pragmatic Guide to Getting Things Done
- Bookworm podcast w/ Mike Schmitz – Getting Things Done episode
- TPS57: Advanced OmniFocus Setup + Workflow w/ Joe Buhlig
If you enjoyed this episode, subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, Sticher, Overcast, PocketCast or your favorite podcast player. It’s easy, you’ll get new episodes automatically, and it also helps the show gain exposure. You can also leave a review! Here’s how.
How Productive Are You?
Take our Productivity Quiz to find out. Learn the tactics and techniques that will work for you.