What’s the best way to brainstorm and take notes? We discuss mindmapping vs outlining, and when to use each technique. There are times when you should mind maps – especially if you have the personality type for it. For others, outlines and text notes might be superior. Listen to this episode to find out which tool works best work you and which apps we recommend for each.
Get Podcast Updates
Do you want to get an email with shownotes each time a podcast goes live? Then let us know where to send the updates by entering your first name and email.
- What mindmapping is and why you might want to use it for information retention and organization
- Dissecting the anatomy of an effective mind map
- How a mindmap works and the process used to make one
- How mindmaps helps you to see information in new ways and how it can stimulate the creative process
- The three different types of mindmaps (and when to use each)
- How to use mindmaps for taking notes when reading a book to increase retention of what you’re reading
- How to structure a mindmap for presenting to an audience (and why you might want to use this approach)
- How to use proper mindmapping techniques to solve problems
- The specific instances when you should use an outline instead of a mindmap
- The advantages of outlining over mind mapping and how to leverage these advantages in certain situations
- Specific use cases for how Asian Efficiency uses outlining and mind mapping
- Recommended apps and tools that you can use to create killer mindmaps and outlines
- Tony Buzan
- Effective Brainstorming Using Mind Maps (AE blog post)
- 7 Everyday Mind Mapping Uses (AE blog post)
- Mind map for Escape Your Email
- iThoughts and iThoughtsX
If you enjoyed this episode, subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, Overcast, PocketCast or your favorite podcast player. It’s easy, you’ll get new episodes automatically, and it also helps the show gain exposure. You can also leave a review! Here’s how.
How Productive Are You?
Take our Productivity Quiz to find out. Learn the tactics and techniques that will work for you.