Ever wonder why some people get so much done compared to others? Behind every super-productive person is an intentional approach to how they manage their calendar. In this episode, Brooks and Mike dive deep on how to set your day up for success by managing your calendar well. They talk about why you need a calendar in the first place, what types of things should go on your calendar, the 3 simple steps for setting up your calendars, recommended applications and services (including some PC and Android options), and 8 advanced calendar management tips to help you plan and execute your perfect week.
Thanks to HelloFresh for supporting The Productivity Show. Receive $30 off your first week of deliveries when you go to HelloFresh.com/TPS30 and use the offer code TPS30.
Get Podcast Updates
Do you want to get an email with shownotes each time a podcast goes live? Then let us know where to send the updates by entering your first name and email.
- Why do you need to use a calendar anyway? [2:04]
- How many calendars do you need? [4:58]
- Steps you can take to set up your calendars for optimal productivity [12:13]
- Why Mike uses a “goose calendar” [18:50]
- Things that don’t need to be scheduled into a calendar [23:11]
- Why we recommend using a cloud-based calendar app [24:40]
- Our calendar app recommendations for Mac and PC [33:58]
- Why you should schedule everything that you intend to do [47:23]
- Small things you can implement today to be more productive with your calendar [57:00]
- Why you should plan at around 75% and over-estimate how long you think things will take [1:04:47]
- How to use a routine and take advantage of biological primetime [1:09:39]
- The advantages of using a scheduling application [1:15:20]
- Why Pursuing the Work-Life Balance Myth is Hurting Your Productivity (TPS139)
- 6 Tips for Running More Effective Meetings (TPS195)
- The Three Big Questions for a Frantic Family
- How To Use a Calendar and Task Manager Together
- Never Enough Time? Schedule Your Priorities by Color Coding Your Calendars
- The Artist’s Way
- AE NeuYear Calendar
- Calendars 5 (by Readdle)
- Google Calendar (iOS & Android)
- One Calendar
- Chronos Calendar
- Microsoft Outlook
- Deep Habits: The Importance of Planning Every Minute of Your Work Day
- The 3 Things You Need to Maximize Your Productivity (TPS121)
If you enjoyed this episode, subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, Overcast, PocketCast or your favorite podcast player. It’s easy, you’ll get new episodes automatically, and it also helps the show gain exposure. You can also leave a review! Here’s how.
Discover the 1 Lifehack of Highly Successful People
This one lifehack led to the biggest breakthrough of my career. People like Steve Jobs and Oprah have used it to catapult their success, and now you can too.