Cal Newport is on the podcast today to talk about Deep Work, a skill that is essential for success in today’s knowledge economy. Learn about what deep work is, why it is so important, and how you can manage your time and distractions so that you can focus on this more productive work.
- What deep work actually means and how you can leverage it to take action on your goals
- The importance of focus and how to avoid “attention residue”
- The key skills you need to succeed in the knowledge economy
- How to cultivate your ability to focus on one thing by avoiding “cognitive junk food”
- The process you can use to write a blog post while going for a walk
- Why boredom is a good thing and the benefits of letting yourself wind down
- Key strategies you can use to change your ratio of deep work to shallow work
- How you can figure out what your most important tasks are and translate that into action towards your goals
- Quick tips for reducing the amount of email you read and send and freeing up more time for deep work
- How you can support and protect your deep work by scheduling it in your calendar
- Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World
- So Good They Can’t Ignore You: Why Skills Trump Passion in the Quest for Work You Love
- The 4-Hour Workweek
- The Art of Manliness website
- TPS35: A Year of Productivity w/ Chris Bailey
- TPS7: Going Paperless w/ Brooks Duncan
Book, tool, ritual
If you enjoyed this episode, subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, Sticher, Overcast, PocketCast or your favorite podcast player. It’s easy, you’ll get new episodes automatically, and it also helps the show gain exposure. You can also leave a review! Here’s how.
Discover the 1 Lifehack of Highly Successful People
This one lifehack led to the biggest breakthrough of my career. People like Steve Jobs and Oprah have used it to catapult their success, and now you can too.