People seem to self-identify into 2 categories: those that thrive working from home, and those that say they could never do it. But working from home is like any other productivity challenge – if you set yourself up for success, become aware of some best practices, and apply some creativity and flexibility, anyone can do it and do it productively. In this episode, we talk about some of our favorite home office gear, talk about the 4 challenges present with trying to work from home, and share 7 keys to setting up your home office environment for maximum productivity.
Get Podcast Updates
Do you want to get an email with shownotes each time a podcast goes live? Then let us know where to send the updates by entering your first name and email.
- How your workspace impacts how productive you are [2:19]
- Some of our favorite home office gear [10:19]
- Why you might want to use two monitors [17:18]
- Why Mike uses a “clicky” keyboard to motivate him to write [26:24]
- The challenges that come with working from home and how to overcome them [29:31]
- How to set ground rules when you decide to work from home [37:14]
- How to define your storage system so you have a place for everything [47:09]
- How the right ergonomics will make you more productive [55:18]
- Why it’s important to take the time to have social interaction if you’re working from home [1:00:43]
- Tips for dealing with paper in your home office [1:05:10]
- Additional resources for getting started or going to the next level with your home office [1:11:52]
- “Are poorly designed offices eroding productivity?” Gensler Research
- Brooks’ desk when he started his online business
- Mike’s current desk setup
- Fully.com standing desks
- NeuYear AE Calendar
- “Boosting Productivity At Work May Be Simple: Stand Up” Texas A&M University
- 10+ iPhone Productivity Strategies from Apple Tech Jedi David Sparks (TPS199)
- “The Virtues of a Second Screen” New York Times
- @JakeShell – DIY Standing Desk
- TPS7: Going Paperless w/ Brooks Duncan
- The One Habit That Stops Procrastination In Its Tracks: Clearing To Neutral
- Organizing from the Inside Out: The Foolproof System For Organizing Your Home, Your Office and Your Life
- New Order: A Decluttering Handbook for Creative Folks (and Everyone Else)
If you enjoyed this episode, subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, Overcast, PocketCast or your favorite podcast player. It’s easy, you’ll get new episodes automatically, and it also helps the show gain exposure. You can also leave a review! Here’s how.
Discover the 1 Lifehack of Highly Successful People
This one lifehack led to the biggest breakthrough of my career. People like Steve Jobs and Oprah have used it to catapult their success, and now you can too.