Today we dive into the science of the brain, how to keep it healthy, and what you can do to make your brain more focused, alert, and productive. Dr. Andrew Hill, PhD is the Lead Neuroscientist at truBrain and founder of Peak Brain, and he discusses how your brain needs to be exercised, what foods and supplements support brain health, and the power of meditation.
- All about Dr. Andrew Hill’s work at the intersection of mind and brain
- What peak performance really means and how to achieve it
- Why our ability to enhance plasticity in our brains is much broader than any of us know and how to do it effectively
- The personal story of how Dr. Hill got interested in brains and science of the mind
- Why our brain needs to be exercised and how to do it
- How we can actually optimize our brains to perform better
- How you can play to your strengths and change how your brain actually functions
- How to optimize your brain with sleep hacking and mindfulness practices
- The many benefits of meditation and how it can improve your memory and other brain functions
- Insights into what the research Dr. Hill has been doing on brain waves tells us about the mind
- How you can locate someone simply by reading their brain waves
- How neuro-feedback works and why the strategy is successful
- Why forehead training is the least reliable way to train your brain
- Dr. Andrew Hill’s take on the “meditation” bands and other brain bands
- How diet effects cognition and why low carb is brain-healthy
- Why coffee is healthy for your brain
- truBrain.com (listen to the episode for the 25% discount code!)
- PeakBrainInstitute.com (psst…there’s another 25%-off code in the episode for Peak Brain)
- TPS51: Executive Thinking w/ Jan Johnston-Tyler
- Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol Dweck
- Dr. Andrew Hill’s simple meditation practice
- Headspace app
- Labdoor – compare the best supplements online
Book, tool, ritual
Book: The Mind and the Brain: Neuroplasticity and the Power of Mental Force by Jeffrey Schwartz MD and Sharon Begley
Tool: Insight Timer – Meditation Timer app
Ritual: Ashtanga yoga practice
Connect with Dr. Andrew Hill
If you enjoyed this episode, subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, Sticher, Overcast, PocketCast or your favorite podcast player. It’s easy, you’ll get new episodes automatically, and it also helps the show gain exposure. You can also leave a review! Here’s how.
If you enjoyed this episode, follow the podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, Overcast, Pocket Casts or your favorite podcast player. It’s easy, you’ll get new episodes automatically, and it also helps the show. You can also leave a review!
Thanks Brad. It was a fun one. I learned a lot by actually listening to the conversation again.
And the supplement site is https://labdoor.com/ Steve.
Hey, this was a wonderful episode!
Did you ever find that website that compares the effectiveness of supplements?
Zack, I really enjoyed this episode! It’s packed with lots of great information. It was great how your very casual comment about the efficacy of the biofeedback training turned into a passionate rebuttal by Dr. Hill.
Beyond all this, it sounded like you were really having a good time, too!