It’s a new year, which means a bunch of New Year’s resolutions about how this is the year that you’ll finally get in shape, get a promotion, or make that big step towards your ideal future. But oftentimes, these well-intentioned self-promises don’t actually materialize. Sure, we may start off strong, but after only a few weeks we find ourselves starting to skip out on the gym and when that happens it’s not long until we stop going altogether.
But it doesn’t have to be this way. In this episode, Brooks and Mike talk about what you can do to help your New Year’s resolutions actually stick. They share 5 reasons why New Year’s resolutions typically don’t last and show you what you can do it about by giving you 3 strategies to make them sticky so you don’t find yourself in the exact same position next year.
- Why everyone can relate to the topic of not keeping your New Year’s resolutions [2:06]
- What to do if you don’t see results immediately [6:04]
- Why it hurts to put in the time and get outside your comfort zone [9:40]
- How to handle unexpected “emergencies” and not let them derail your plans [15:14]
- Why you need people around you to support you if you really want to create new habits [20:35]
- What happens when your “why” is not strong enough [25:16]
- What to do to make sure this is the year your resolutions stick [37:08]
- Why establishing rituals work so well to help you achieve your goals [41:04]
- The 4 essential components of a good ritual [46:02]
- Why you should be very careful about who you choose let speak into your life [58:04]
- Change Your Mind, Change Your Life: How a Growth Mindset Leads You to Your Ideal Future (TPS171)
- Great by Choice: Uncertainty, Chaos, and Luck–Why Some Thrive Despite Them All
- Mind Food: How to Become More Creative and Successful by Watching What You “Eat” (TPS170)
- The 12 Week Year: Get More Done in 12 Weeks than Others Do in 12 Months
- Happy New Year: Why Labour Day Has Become My New Year’s Day
- The 4 Disciplines of Execution: Achieving Your Wildly Important Goals
- Sam Carpenter
- Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative
If you enjoyed this episode, subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, Overcast, PocketCast or your favorite podcast player. It’s easy, you’ll get new episodes automatically, and it also helps the show gain exposure. You can also leave a review! Here’s how.
If you enjoyed this episode, follow the podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, Overcast, Pocket Casts or your favorite podcast player. It’s easy, you’ll get new episodes automatically, and it also helps the show. You can also leave a review!