Do you ever find yourself frustrated because the day has just gotten away from you? If so, we’ve got good news for you: there are things you can do to set yourself up for a successful and productive day. Today Mike is joined by writer, author, and podcaster Dave Caolo. Dave was the managing editor at The Unofficial Apple Weblog for eight years where he covered major Apple releases, produced podcasts and video, and oversaw the site’s day-to-day editorial operations. He’s a regular contributor to Unclutterer, a website dedicated to home and office organization, and he’s created a few video courses for the Dojo, our online productivity community.
Dave’s latest video course is all about setting your day up for success, so in this episode, we dive deep on specific things you can do the night before to make sure tomorrow is productive, how to get your day started right with a solid morning routine, and what you can do to overcome a midday slump.
Thanks to Weebly for supporting The Productivity Show. Go to weebly.com/tps to get 15% off your first purchase.
- 3 keys to setting up your day for success [2:15]
- Why getting enough sleep is so important [3:12]
- Why the simple act of saying hello and goodbye to coworkers can make a big difference in your productivity [8:04]
- How to identify your MITs (Most Important Tasks) [12:43]
- Tips for prepping your gear the night before [16:35]
- Making sure your calendar is ready to go for the next day so you can hit the ground running [20:10]
- How to have a productive morning [25:08]
- What to include in a morning routine [29:00]
- How both of them tried “Morning pages” and didn’t end up incorporating it into their routine [35:25]
- How to “chunk” your time [41:15]
- How to overcome a mid-day slump [44:35]
- All about the “52/17” method [51:31]
- What Dave uses to track his time [53:23]
- When to turn off your email client [57:17]
- Where to start in order to implement something you’ve learned tonight [1:02:45]
- Overcoming Digital Clutter: Strategies for Reducing Stress and Regaining Focus w/ Dave Caolo (TPS185)
- The Power of Positive Thinking: How Gratitude Gives You More Energy (TPS175)
- Never Enough Time? Schedule Your Priorities by Color Coding Your Calendars
- Getting Things Done
- The Artist’s Way
- Busy: How to thrive in a world of too much
- Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less
- Pomodoro 2.0 w/ Esington Method Founder Rudy Marsh (TPS188)
- Timing app
Connect with Dave Caolo
If you enjoyed this episode, subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, Overcast, PocketCast or your favorite podcast player. It’s easy, you’ll get new episodes automatically, and it also helps the show gain exposure. You can also leave a review! Here’s how.
If you enjoyed this episode, follow the podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, Overcast, Pocket Casts or your favorite podcast player. It’s easy, you’ll get new episodes automatically, and it also helps the show. You can also leave a review!