I’m with Scott Rose, The Inspirational Nerd, and we’re going to talk about how you can lose weight efficiently without working out much. We’ll be diving deep into the ketogenic diet, a somewhat controversial diet that he and I both follow. We’ll be talking about fasting and how Scott coached me through my first 3-day water fast where I didn’t eat anything for 3 days and only drank water, and what kind of fat loss and other results I got from that. Here’s a sneak preview – I was extremely productive, which might sound counterintuitive.
In fact, I want to say that a lot of things that are discussed today might sound controversial, but I want to ask you to keep an open mind. When I first heard these ideas it went against everything I ever learned about health, nutrition and productivity. But once I dove deeper into the research and tried it myself, it all made sense and I’m excited to share these ideas with you.
Thanks to Blinkist for supporting The Productivity Show. Fit more listening and reading into your life with key takeaways from the best nonfiction books. Get a free 7-day trial at Blinkist.com/TPS.
Medical disclaimer: this episode is not giving medical advice. This is for entertainment purposes only. If you do anything, please consult with your physician.
- What got Scott interested in the ketogenic lifestyle [5:06]
- How an incredibly painful experience opened Scott up to a new way of thinking [11:39]
- Why the logic behind eating fat making you fat is unsound [19:26]
- Why the ketogenic lifestyle is both about what you eat and when you eat [22:27]
- The super simple way to make almost any meal a high-fat meal [28:24]
- Thanh’s personal journey into the ketogenic lifestyle, and how it affected his daily life [29:25]
- How government programs and regulations helped lead America into the obesity epidemic [33:03]
- Why reducing your calorie intake can actually have the opposite effect in a diet [39:34]
- Thanh’s test of adding tons of extra calories through fat in his diet [47:00]
- Why a high-fat low-carb diet won’t necessarily help you lose weight, and what will [54:35]
- Why obesity is the canary in the coal mine for your overall health [1:07:10]
- How focusing on your health is the natural key to healthy weight loss [1:11:43]
- How intermittent fasting can completely rebuild your immune system [1:14:09]
- What you can eat to get started in the ketogenic lifestyle [1:22:52]
- The surprising cause of the weight gain from your burger, fries, and a coke [1:30:02]
- What other tips and hacks you can use to keto your meals [1:33:33]
- Some of Scott’s favorite keto-friendly foods [1:41:11]
- The most important things that Scott would recommend for people to get started in the ketogenic lifestyle [1:53:40]
- Foundation for Economic Education
- The Intensive Dietary Management (IDM) Blog
- Dr. Mercola
- World Health Initiative
- Low Carb Denver 2019
- Keto Subreddit (Discussion Forum)
- Jason Fung on “Solving the Two-Compartment Problem”
- Dr. Eric Berg on Youtube
- Butter Bob Briggs’ video “Butter Makes Your Pants Fall Off”
- The Big Fat Surprise: Why Butter, Meat and Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet
- The Obesity Code: Unlocking the Secrets of Weight Loss
- The Diabetes Code: Prevent and Reverse Type 2 Diabetes Naturally
- Eat Fat, Get Thin: Why the Fat We Eat Is the Key to Sustained Weight Loss and Vibrant Health
- The Complete Guide to Fasting: Heal Your Body Through Intermittent, Alternate-Day, and Extended Fasting
- Grain Brain: The Surprising Truth about Wheat, Carbs, and Sugar–Your Brain’s Silent Killers
- Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It
- Fat for Fuel: A Revolutionary Diet to Combat Cancer, Boost Brain Power, and Increase Your Energy
- Fat Chance: Beating the Odds Against Sugar, Processed Food, Obesity, and Disease
- Eat Bacon, Don’t Jog: Get Strong. Get Lean. No Bullshit.
- The Coconut Oil Miracle: Use Nature’s Elixir to Lose Weight, Beautify Skin and Hair, Prevent Heart Disease, Cancer, and Diabetes, Strengthen the Immune System
- The Hacking of the American Mind: The Science Behind the Corporate Takeover of Our Bodies and Brains
- Scientific Opinions For Sale
- World renowned heart surgeon speaks out on what really causes heart disease
- The cholesterol and calorie hypotheses are both dead — it is time to focus on the real culprit, insulin resistance
- Mammoth Creameries
- Killer Creamery!
- Rebel Creamery
- Keto Cups
- Kettle and Fire Beef Bone Broth Soup
- Grass-Fed Ghee Butter by 4th & Heart
- How to Get Healthy and Stay Sane While Saving Time w/ Betty Jean Bell (TPS236)
Connect With Scott Rose:
If you enjoyed this episode, subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, Overcast, PocketCast or your favorite podcast player. It’s easy, you’ll get new episodes automatically, and it also helps the show gain exposure. You can also leave a review! Here’s how.