Social Media CAN be like productivity kryptonite – distraction and disruption are literally one tap away.
One solution is the Cal Newport route – just get rid of social media altogether.
He’s written books like Deep Work and Digital Minimalism – and was on TPS88 – where he makes the case that whatever benefit we think we get from social media is almost certainly not worth it.
If you want to do that – great! But you also don’t want to be THAT person when someone asks you for your LinkedIn or Instagram, and say that you don’t have one and miss out on opportunities.
How do you do that in a way that won’t destroy your productivity and attention span?
Here are 3 things you’ll get out of this episode:
- How to set up “Guardrails” to stop social media from taking over your life
- The #1 Rule to protect your Time, Energy, and Attention from social media
- How to do a digital detox to disrupt your social media habit and regain focus
Visit Indeed.com/TPS to start hiring now. Terms and conditions apply.
Go to Shopify.com/tps for a FREE fourteen-day trial and get full access to Shopify’s entire suite of features.
Thanks Gusto. Go to gusto.com/tps for your first three months free.
You can find links to everything that we share in the show notes by going to theproductivityshow.com/412.
- Top 3 Productivity Resources [4:19]
- What is Tip no. 1 for controlling social media usage? [5:13]
- How does Brooks add “friction” to his social media? [9:13]
- How does Thanh add “friction” to his social media routine? [19:54]
- What rule does Brooks want you to follow 100% of the time with social media? [22:28]
- What are Thanh’s views on internet discourse? [26:52]
- What is tip number 3 for controlling social media usage? [30:26]
- Action step you can take to integrate today’s topic into your life [36:45]
- Book – Deep Work, by Cal Newport
- Book – Digital Minimalism, by Cal Newport
- TPS88: Deep Work with Cal Newport
- Book – Stolen Focus, by Johann Hari
- Tweetbot (iOS)
- Twidere (Android)
- News Feed Eradicator
- Comic – “Duty Calls” (xkcd)
- Productivity Academy
- Become a member of TPS+
- Take the Productivity Quiz
If you enjoyed this episode, follow the podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, Overcast, Pocket Casts, Google, or your favorite podcast player. It’s easy, you’ll get new episodes automatically, and it also helps the show. You can also leave a review!