Mike is joined today by productivity expert Chris Bailey. Chris is the internationally bestselling author of The Productivity Project, and most recently his second book, Hyperfocus: How to Be More Productive in a World of Distraction. Chris writes about productivity at ALifeOfProductivity.com and speaks to organizations around the globe on how they can become more productive, without hating the process. Fast Company has called him a “productivity mastermind” and the TED Talks organization said that he “might be the most productive man you’d ever hope to meet.” In this episode, we’re thrilled to have Chris join Mike to talk about the idea of Hyperfocus and how you can manage your attention in order to be more productive.
Thanks to LinkedIn for supporting The Productivity Show. Get $50 off your first job post at LinkedIn.com/TPS.
Get Podcast Updates
Do you want to get an email with shownotes each time a podcast goes live? Then let us know where to send the updates by entering your first name and email.
- The inspiration behind Chris’ new book [1:59]
- The 4 types of tasks that Chris lays out in Hyperfocus [7:33]
- How to use attentional space effectively [14:32]
- The only way to multitask [19:42]
- The different stages of Hyperfocus [21:33]
- How to tame distractions when you’re trying to focus [30:35]
- How you can make Hyperfocus a habit [37:54]
- What to do when your mind wanders and how to unlock your brain’s creative mode [44:37]
- The 3 different styles of Scatterfocus, or deliberate mind-wandering [51:37]
- How Hyperfocus mode and Scatterfocus mode relate to each other [56:23]
- The idea of collecting and connecting dots [59:13]
- How to consume better information [1:04:38]
- Hyperfocus: How to Be More Productive in a World of Distraction
- TPS35: A Year of Productivity w/ Chris Bailey
- The 3 Things You Need to Maximize Your Productivity (TPS121)
- The Productivity Project: Accomplishing More by Managing Your Time, Attention, and Energy
- Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience
- Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World
- Meditation for the Rest of Us: 10 Surprising Benefits from Making Mindfulness a Habit (TPS210)
- Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative
- TED Talk by Chris Bailey
Connect with Chris Bailey
If you enjoyed this episode, subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, Overcast, PocketCast or your favorite podcast player. It’s easy, you’ll get new episodes automatically, and it also helps the show gain exposure. You can also leave a review! Here’s how.