Have you ever found yourself in a meeting thinking to yourself, “when is this going to end?” or even “why am I here?” If so, you’re definitely not alone. Meetings can waste a ton of time and are often not helpful in getting your actual work done. So in this episode, we dive into the 3 big problems with most meetings and share 6 things you can do to turn an unproductive meeting into a productive one. We also give 3 questions you can use to start having more productive meetings today, even if you’re not the meeting facilitator.
Thanks to Weebly for supporting The Productivity Show. Go to weebly.com/tps to get 15% off your first purchase.
Get Podcast Updates
Do you want to get an email with shownotes each time a podcast goes live? Then let us know where to send the updates by entering your first name and email.
- The problems with most meetings [2:25]
- Things that cause most meetings to fail [6:11]
- The AE solution to making sure people take meetings seriously [8:35]
- How to make meetings shorter AND more effective [15:47]
- Why most meetings wander off-topic [22:03]
- How to make sure that people actually follow-up on action-items from the meeting [30:20]
- What to do if you realize a meeting is a waste of time for everyone [34:48]
- How to establish trust within your team and why it’s so important for effective meetings [38:35]
- Why bringing hard data will make meetings productive and help get buy-in from your team [42:58]
- Action-items you can implement today to make your next meeting successful [47:42]
- The Science and Fiction of Meetings (article)
- Time Wasting at Work (infographic)
- Our 3 Biggest Challenges of Implementing Scrum & How We Overcame Them (TPS191)
- The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable
- Difficult Conversations: How to Discuss What Matters Most
- Scaling Up: How a Few Companies Make It…and Why the Rest Don’t
- TPS87: How to Run Effective Meetings w/ John Poelstra
If you enjoyed this episode, subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, Overcast, PocketCast or your favorite podcast player. It’s easy, you’ll get new episodes automatically, and it also helps the show gain exposure. You can also leave a review! Here’s how.