Books are an amazing source of learning and leverage. For little or no money, you can quickly learn what someone else has spent years figuring out, and you can avoid the mistakes that they made.
However, there’s a big difference between READING a book and LEARNING from a book, and more importantly IMPLEMENTING what you’ve learned.
In this podcast, we’ll share our best systems and strategies for reading books and implementing what you’ve read.
Thanks to Grammarly for supporting The Productivity Show. Grammarly is offering our listeners 20% off a Grammarly premium account. Go to Grammarly.com/TPS to get 20% off your Grammarly premium account today.
Get Podcast Updates
Do you want to get an email with shownotes each time a podcast goes live? Then let us know where to send the updates by entering your first name and email.
- Why Thanh and Brooks developed this system [3:47]
- What books Brooks has been reading [11:30]
- The books that Thanh and Brooks have gifted the most [14:15]
- Why highlighting alone is not good enough to retain more knowledge from your reading [16:33]
- Why Brooks uses mindmaps to organize his takeaways [21:41]
- What makes something a “highlight” to Brooks when he’s reading [25:12]
- How Thanh implements action items from a book into his life [28:36]
- The review process, and how Thanh and Brooks go over their takeaways [33:25]
- How his long-term review process helps Brooks “gain interest” on what he got out of his books [38:21]
- How Thanh and Brooks use thinking time to get the most out of their new information [43:29]
- The key to making your system work, no matter what system you choose [45:06]
- What you can do to take action with this system and the books you’re currently reading [45:55]
- Kindle Paperwhite
- Pocket Utility Knife
- Mind Food: How to Become More Creative and Successful by Watching What You “Eat” (TPS170)
- Simple Strategies To Find Time to Parent Without Feeling Guilty w/ Julie Morgenstern (TPS232)
- Atomic Habits: 4 Laws for Changing Your Identity & Living the Life You Want w/ James Clear (TPS217)
- Focus Tips From the Most Productive Man You’d Ever Hope to Meet w/ Chris Bailey (TPS213)
- Finding Your Focus w/ Michael Hyatt (TPS109)
- Essentialism w/ Greg McKeown (TPS102)
- Deep Work w/ Cal Newport (TPS88)
- Getting Things Done w/ David Allen (TPS58)
- The One Thing w/ Jay Papasan (TPS46)
- Advanced Strategies for Reading Faster and Remembering More w/ Abby Marks-Beale (TPS159)
- What books Brooks has been reading:
- What books Thanh has been reading:
- Brooks Siri shortcut
- How to Effectively Read and Implement Books
If you enjoyed this episode, subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, Overcast, PocketCast or your favorite podcast player. It’s easy, you’ll get new episodes automatically, and it also helps the show gain exposure. You can also leave a review! Here’s how.
Discover the 1 Lifehack of Highly Successful People
This one lifehack led to the biggest breakthrough of my career. People like Steve Jobs and Oprah have used it to catapult their success, and now you can too.